BADGES and MICRO-CREDENTIALS
CONFERENCE ATTENDANCE, PRESENTATIONS, and PROFESSIONAL REVIEW
2017-2018 (Employment: Mount Vernon Presbyterian School + MVIFI)
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING DOCUMENTATION: 2017-18
- Reflection on Goals and Standards of Professional Excellence, Bo Adams, 2017-18
- Bo’s Professional Learning 2017-18 Events-Based Planner (working doc)
SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS: 2017-18 (REVERSE CHRONOLOGY)
- EdLeader21 Annual Event, Atlanta, GA, Oct. 3-5, 2017. Co-created and co-facilitated workshop, “Design Thinking and Design Doing,” with Jim Tiffin and Trey Boden. Provided student for Ken Kay opening keynote and student panel.
- Tilton School bespoke workshop in design thinking and school transformation. Mount Vernon Institute for Innovation, Sept. 21-22, 2017. Co-created and co-facilitated with MVIFI Nucleus Team.
- Transcend Yellow Hats League Zoom Webinar with Grant Lichtman, Moving the Rock: Seven Levers We Can Press to Transform Education. Sept. 20, 2017.
- Joined Yellow Hats League, Transcend, August 8, 2017.
- NAIS Innovation Kitchen Summit Hack, NAIS National Headquarters, Washington, D.C., July 26-28, 2017. Magnetic Mountain Model and Framework. Co-designed and co-facilitated event with Kawai Lai (VP Innovation, NAIS) and Jackie Wolking (Director of Innovation, NAIS)
2016-2017 (Employment: Mount Vernon Presbyterian School + MVIFI)
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING DOCUMENTATION: 2016-17
- Reflection on Goals and Standards of Professional Excellence, Bo Adams, 2016-17
- Bo’s Professional Learning 2016-17 Events-Based Planner (working doc)
SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS: 2016-17 (REVERSE CHRONOLOGY)
- MVIFI fuse17 design thinking experience, Mount Vernon Presbyterian School, June 14-16, 2017. Conference d.Team member and Conference Director.
- Traverse17: Expedition to the Future of Learning, Watershed School, June 5-7, 2017. Participant, Co-leader of “Learning Walks & Instructional Rounds” sessions (2) with Shelley Clifford, and Program Partner through MVIFI.
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Innovation Kitchen cohort member, Washington, D.C. May 17-18, 2017.
- MISBO + IDEO Independent School Business Model Project meeting at IDEO, San Francisco, CA. May 1, 2017. Co-presenter with Rosalyn Merrick.
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Annual Conference 2018 Think Tank meeting, Atlanta, GA. April 13, 2017. (Think Tank Member for NAIS AC 18.)
- MISBO + IDEO Project: How might we reimagine the independent school business model? Launch event in Baltimore, MD. March 4-5, 2017. Ongoing project work as team lead, March 6 – May 1, 2017.
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Annual Conference 2017, Baltimore, MD. Attendee and co-presenter with Dr. Brett Jacobsen, “How to Build Your School’s Innovation Portfolio,” Speed Innovation Session. March 1-3, 2017.
- Mastery Transcript Consortium meeting, Baltimore, MD. March 1, 2017.
- School visit to Baylor School, Chattanooga, TN. February 3, 2017.
- School visits and re-connections with Cannon School and Providence Day School. Concord and Charlotte, NC. November 10-11, 2016.
- Mastery Transcript Consortium. October 27-28, 2016.Participant. Hawken School visit, Gates Mill (Upper School) Campus – Stirn Hall. October 27, 2016.
- MVIFI A Night of Inquiry, Innovation and Impact. October 20, 2016. Organizer and attendee.
- MVIFI Collider: In-House Professional Learning Conference. October 7, 2016. Organizer of event and facilitator for session “What’s In a Grade?”
- MVIFI – MVPS School Visit Day. October 6, 2016. Organizer and director.
- MVIFI Consults visit to Tilton School. September 26-27, 2016. Consultant.
- Visit to Colorado Academy, Denver, CO. September 15-16, 2016. Climbed to summits of Grays and Torreys Peaks. Meet-ups with Greg Bamford, Head of Watershed School; April Lewandoski, Professor at Front Range Community College.
- Visit to Carolina Day School, Asheville, NC. August 29-30, 2016.
- Expeditionary Learning Field Work. Workshop in MVPS Lower School facilitated by Jim Tiffin and Nicole Martin. August 12, 2016 (Two hours).
- Design Thinking Challenge + Maker/Design/Engineering Lab. PBL Workshop with Four As Protocol and Critical Friends Project Tuning Protocol. Five-hour and two-hour, professional learning arcs co-designed and co-facilitated by MVIFI Nucleus Team and MVPS Division Leadership for MVPS Preplanning 2016. August 2016.
- “Why We Brand; Why We Buy.” Design Conversation with Debbie Millman, hosted by Museum of Design Atlanta, August 11, 2016 [lecture].
- “Cultivating Curiosity in the Classroom.” ASCD Webinar with Dr. Wendy Ostroff. July 28, 2016 (One hour).
2015-2016 (Employment: Mount Vernon Presbyterian School + MVIFI)
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING DOCUMENTATION: 2015-16
- End-of-Year Reflection on Goals and Standards of Professional Excellence, Bo Adams, 2015-16
- Bo’s Professional Learning 2015-16 Events-Based Planner
SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS: 2015-16 (REVERSE CHRONOLOGY)
- MVIFI fuse16 design thinking experience, Mount Vernon Presbyterian School, June 15-17, 2016. Conference d.Team member and Conference Director.
- Traverse16: Expedition to the Future of Learning, Watershed School, June 6-8, 2016. Participant, Co-leader of “Consultivations” sessions (2) with Meghan Cureton, and Program Partner through MVIFI.
- FolioStudent Think Tank with Folio Collaborative, McDonogh School, May 1-2, 2016. Member of the think tank team to help concept and develop new portfolio and learning/growth processes and tool.
- Coca-Cola AOC Workplace 2020, Tour and Discussion with Rodney Drinkard. April 15, 2016. (blog post)
- Learning Walks & Instructional Rounds “Crash Course” Workshop. Mount Vernon Presbyterian School Visit Day, hosted and co-created by MVIFI. April 8, 2016. Co-directed by Bo Adams and Allison Toller.
- iDiploma Field Experience at the Stanford d.School. Co-created by MVIFI/MVPS iDiploma team with lead creation/facilitation from Ariel Raz, Durell Coleman and Suzie Wise, K12 Lab. February 29-March 4, 2016. (blog post)
- SPARKplaces Workshop: “a dynamic 2-day design expedition, exploring the creation of remarkable, contemporary learning environments.” Wonder, By Design & Leadership + Design. http://www.sparkplaces.com/ February 26-27, 2016. (blog post)
- NAIS Annual Conference 2016, “What’s Your Story? The Power of Trailblazers, Catalysts, and Calamities.” February 25-26, 2016. Co-presenting with Chip Houston and Shelley Clifford in one-hour workshop on Instructional Rounds. (blog post)
- San Francisco school visits to Brightworks and Nueva School. February 23-24, 2016. (blog posts: Brightworks and Nueva)
- Lead facilitator for MVIFI Design Thinking Workshop for four Alabama schools. February 12, 2016. Co-facilitating with MVIFI/MVPS design thinking coaches.
- XLR8 Makers (Dine and Design). January 28, 2016. Participant (personal logo design and vinyl cutting) and badge earned.
- Workshop on Deeper Learning, Place-Based Learning, and Risk Management. Facilitated by World Leadership School. January 4-5, 2016 (1.5 days of teacher leader and administrator development). Participant and liaison.
- XLR8 Makers (Dine and Design). November 12, 2015. Participant (Scratch and PICO boards topic focus) and badge earned.
- Council on Innovation. October 23, 2015. Co-designer and program director.
- Collider. October 9, 2015. Co-designer and executive program director. Also co-facilitated “PBL/DT: Case Study – Recycling” session with Anya Smith, as well as facilitated “Teachers Guild” session. Badge earned.
- VS North America Days. Tauberbischofsheim, Germany. September 26-30, 2015. Participant and invited guest of Wonder, by Design and VS North America Southeast Region representative.
- Creative Mornings Atlanta, Aarron Walters, Empathy; MODA 3D Printing the Future; Atlanta Tech Village StartUp Chowdown (all with Innovation Diploma). September 25, 2015.
- XLR8 Makers Pilot/Prototype. Dine and Design Maker Evening – new PL offering from MVIFI. Concept test with MVIFI Nucleus and Cell Team + Parker Thomas. September 23, 2015. Co-designer and participant.
- MVPS School Visit Day. September 18, 2015. Program co-designer and facilitator of Learning Walk Crash Course & Debrief.
- Atlanta Tech Village, Startup Chowdown. September 4, 2015. Participant with MVIFI sub team.
- Plywood Presents, Gathering of Problem Solvers. August 19-20, 2015. MVIFI Nucleus and Cell Teams, VIP Table.
- “Tinkering Fundamentals: A Constructionist Approach to STEM Learning” (Art of Tinkering MOOC from Coursera). August 9 – September 22, 2015. Participant.
- PBL Workshop with Suzie Boss. August 7, 2015. Co-organizer and participant with MVPS Upper School Faculty and Grade 2 Team.
- Center for Civic Innovation, Open House. July 21, 2015. Attendee with MVIFI Nucleus Team members.
2014-2015 (Employment: Mount Vernon Presbyterian School)
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING DOCUMENTATION: 2014-15
SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS: 2014-15 (REVERSE CHRONOLOGY)
- Traverse: An Expedition to the Future of Learning. Watershed School. Expedition guide and speaker; co-facilitating with Meghan Cureton. June 8-10, 2015.
- fuse15, Design Thinking Conference at Mount Vernon Presbyterian School and the Mount Vernon Institute for Innovation. d.Team leader, conference director, and DEEPdt mentor/coach. June 3-5, 2015.
- PBL Workshop (half day + tutorials + dinner salon) with Jennifer Klein of World Leadership School and Buck Institute for Education, May 26, 2015.
- TEDxAtlanta: Bold Moves. April 28, 2015.
- Shared MoVe Talk and co-facilitation support at #MVRoundtable – a day-long design thinking experience for nine college and university admissions representatives co-creating next generation ideas for transcripts and ways to capture demonstrations of deep learning for students.
- School Visit and Traverse Scouting Mission. The Watershed School, Boulder, CO. Hosted by Greg Bamford. April 8-9, 2015.
- Introduction to Design Thinking Workshop (attendee by application). Stanford University d.School. April 7-8, 2015.
- Snowboarding – Learning something I’ve never done before. Sugar Mountain, NC. February 14, 2015.
- MVIFI Strategic Design Session. Co-created and co-facilitated with Gregory Todd Jones. December 15, 2014.
- Teaching and Learning Innovation Think Tank (member by invitation). St. Paul’s School. November 14-15, 2014.
- MVIFI 2nd Annual Council on Innovation: “HMW enhance our creative impact?” Co-created and co-directed program. Co-facilitated salon lunches and DEEPdt FlashLab. October 24, 2014.
- EdLeader21 4th Annual Event (attendee +). Co-created, co-directed, and co-facilitated Design Thinking Workshop to show how the 4Cs are pathways to agency for nurturing innovators. October 1-3, 2014.
- “Scaling Up Your Venture Without Screwing It Up.” Stanford Business School MOOC with Bob Sutton and Huggy Rao. September 15 – October 19, 2014
- Georgia Center for Nonprofits, Field Trip on Design Thinking at MODA. Co-facilitated with Mary Cantwell. September 17, 2014 (Storify)
- “Failure.” Creative Mornings, Featuring Wade Thompson. August 29, 2014
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Open Idea Lab 2-day Session with Strategic Health Initiatives and MVPS Innovation Diploma. Co-facilitated design-thinking workshop with Mary Cantwell, Meghan Cureton, and Innovation Diploma Disney Cohort. (See blog post.) August 2014
- Featured panelist on #CWRAchat focused on Design Thinking. July 28, 2014. Collaborators included Chris Jackson (CWRA), Greg Bamford (Watershed School & Leadership + Design), Tyler Thigpen (HGSE)
2013-2014 (Employment: Mount Vernon Presbyterian School)
Professional Learning Documentation: 2013-14
- Bo Adams – MVPS Upper School Professional Learning Hours 2013-2014
- Bo Adams – MVPS Middle School Folio 2013-14
- Bo Adams – MVPS Lower School PLN Form 2013-14
- Bo Adams – MVPS Preschool 2013-14
Selected Highlights: 2013-14
- The Martin Institute for Teaching Excellence Summer Conference 2013: Transformative Learning (attended and presented plenary session talk on Curiosity, including stories of #FSBL and #Synergy), June 12-13, 2013
- //fuse13, Mount Vernon Institute for Innovation, 2nd annual experience in design thinking (redesigning the first week of school), June 17-19, 2013
- Georgia Campaign for Grade-Level Reading Innovation Forum at Atlanta Speech School, Annie E. Casey Foundation, June 26, 2013
- EDUC115N “How to Learn Math,” Stanford University (online), a MOOC on changing relationships and mindsets regarding mathematics teaching and learning, July 14 – September 28, 2013 [statement of accomplishment]
- Design Thinking Action Lab, Stanford University (online and fieldwork/team hybrid), deeper learning about design thinking (#DTk12) by tackling a real-world innovation challenge, July 22 – August 26, 2013 [certificate of completion, with distinction]
- Creative Mornings, Atlanta, Aaron Fortner spoke on Urbanism and creating the honest stories we want our cities to live, August 30, 2013
- (co)lab – A Collaborative Leadership Summit, Atlanta, GA, September 22-23, 2013. Involvement with Lab 6 “Engage Communities in Education/Future Leaders.” [Also involved in event creation while at Unboundary.]
- EdLeader21 3rd Annual Event, October 2-4, 2013
- MVIFI 1st Annual Council on Innovation: “HMW Be More Globally Competitive?” Co-created and co-directed program. Co-facilitated salon lunches and DEEPdt Challenge. October 25, 2013
- NYSAIS (New York State Association of Independent Schools) Assistant Heads and Division Heads Conference, presented and facilitated with Grant Lichtman, November 13-15, 2013 [see blog post and resource pack.]
- Creative Mornings, Atlanta, Aretta Baumgartner and Patty Petrey Dees spoke on Childhood, especially the power of puppetry arts and being in the present, January 24, 2014 [blog post]
- #dtk12chat [several Twitter chats throughout year – Wednesday nights, 9PM Eastern]; highlighting “Fireside Chat with Bo Adams and Grant Lichtman,” January 29, 2014 [Storify archive and YouTube archive]
- NAIS (National Association of Independent Schools) Annual Conference 2014 (attended and presented session on Zero-Based Strategic Thinking with Grant Lichtman), February 26-28, 2014 [blog post]
- SXSWedu Conference & Festival (attended and presented Playground Hands-On Session on “MVPS Plays to Connect”), March 3-6, 2014 [blog post]
- TEDxAtlanta: “Betterness,” May 6, 2014
- fuse14, Design Thinking Conference at Mount Vernon Presbyterian School and the Mount Vernon Institute for Innovation, June 25-26, 2014 (served as event d.Team leader, conference director, and coach); see badges
2012-2013 (Employment: Unboundary)
SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS: 2012-13
- EdCampAtl, September 8, 2012 [co-facilitated two sessions]
- SAIS Lunch & Learn: Matt Scully, Flipping the Classroom, September 24, 2012
- TEDxAtlanta “Edge of the South,” September 25, 2012
- SAIS Lunch & Learn: Grant Lichtman, Implementing Innovation: Lesson from the Road, #EdJourney, November 6, 2012
- EduCon 2.5, January 2013
- NAIS AC, February 2013
- SAIS Lunch & Learn: Bo Adams, Pedagogical Master Planning (presented/facilitated), April 19, 2013
1995-2012 (Employment: The Westminster Schools)
360 Degree Review and Feedback: 2011-12 and Earlier
As Bo evolved as an educator and school administrator, he saw himself as not only the principal teacher, but primarily as the principal learner of the Junior High – his passions resided in being a “lead learner” in his division, as well as in the school. At Westminster, Bo fully engaged the Faculty Assessment and Annual Review (FAAR) Plan. Below is a link to a matrix of resources which houses Bo’s annual goals, administrative evaluations, etc.
SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS: 2011-12
- Bo is a regular participant in the TEDxAtlanta community.
- Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM), Keynote with Jill Gough, September 2011 (Formative Assessment & Professional Learning Communities)
- SACS-SAIS Accrediting Team for Ravenscroft School, October 2011
- Kindezi Charter School, Project-based Learning Workshop, Co-facilitated with Jill Gough, October 2011 and February 2012
- EduCon 2.4, “Synergy-Questions are the way points on the path of wisdom,” Co-facilitated Conversation on PBL with Jill Gough, January 27-29, 2012 (launched Synergy2Learn blog)
- Professional Learning Communities Keynote and Workshop, Co-facilitated with Jill Gough, Randolph School, February 17, 2012
- Innovation in Education, NAIS Annual Conference Workshop, Co-facilitated with Jamie Baker, Lee Burns, and Grant Lichtman, February 29, 2012
- High Museum of Art (Atlanta) – “STEM to STEAM: The Meaning of Innovation” with John Maeda, President of Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), March 19, 2012 [related Huffington Post article]
- Mount Vernon Presbyterian School Design Summit, attending, March 23, 2012
- The Lovett School American Studies Institute: “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised? American Culture: 1970-present,” June 7-8, 2012
- The 2012 Martin Institute Summer Conference: Teaching for Tomorrow, June 13-14, 2012 (keynote panel and multiple workshop facilitations)
SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS: 2010-11 (reverse chronology)
- INMAX: Innovation in Schools, June 2011, Co-speaker with Jill Gough (Learnopolis: Professional Learning Communities)
- Project-based Learning Workshop, Center for Teaching Summer Institute, June 2011 – Co-Facilitator with Jill Gough
- Professional Learning Communities Facilitation, Center for Teaching Summer Institute, June 2011 – Co-Facilitator with Jill Gough
- Sabbatical focused on Schools of the Future and the Future of Schools, March-April 2011 (Included internship at Unboundary, as well as schools visits such as The Lovett School, Trinity School, Brightworks, The Bay School, St. Gregory)
- TEDxAtlanta Creativ!ty, April 2011, and RE:SOLVE, September 2010
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD), Annual Conference, March 2011
- Learning Forward (formerly NSDC), Annual Conference, January 2011
- 21st Century Learning Summit, Solution Tree, October 2010
SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS: 2009-10 (reverse chronology)
- TEDx Atlanta RE:LEARN, Speaker (“Infrastructural Learner-preneurship”), May 2010, and RE:PURPOSE attendee, January 2010
- Professional Learning Communities Summit, Solution Tree, February 2010
- Learning and the Brain Institute: Modern Brains in the Digital Age, November 2009
- Assessment Summit, Solution Tree, October 2009
- Professional Learning Communities at Work Institute, Solution Tree, August 2009
SELECTED HIGHLIGHTS: Pre-2009
- Leading and Managing the Independent School of the Future. The Principals’ Center. Harvard Graduate School of Education. November 8-11, 2006. Participant.
- Focus on Accountability. The Principals’ Center. Harvard Graduate School of Education. June 28-July 3, 2004. Participant.